Day 3 No Striving Challenge – Sometimes the Best Action is No Action At All
This one can be tricky, because we live in a world that highly values being productive and taking action. And it can be very uncomfortable to stop striving to be productive or take action.
Speaking from experience, I gotta tell you, this can take practice, BUT it is a vital piece in being able to create ease, calm, and peace in your life.
So, today you’re going to move away from the incessant need to feel productive or be taking action. Believe me, I know that it’s very seductive, but you will thank yourself when you can loosen the reigns and start to enjoy life a little more…the laundry can wait!
Some areas to consider:
- Relaxing to watch a tv show instead of cleaning the house
- Letting your child skip a scheduled activity and give them a break (no worrying about the $ spent on the activity)
- Take a much needed nap (gasp…a nap? Yep, if I feel I need it I allow myself to take one, and in all cases I end up better off for it)
- Having tea with a friend instead of doing one of your many “shoulds”
- Take a drive instead of working on a project you feel you’ve been procrastinating on (there’s a reason you haven’t been inspired to work on it yet)
- Hold off on blaming a family member, friend, or colleague that you feel has wronged you
- Refrain from telling your “victim story” of how you’ve been wronged to whoever will listen
In the last two examples, these illustrate our need to strive to let others know that we are “right.” It satisfies our ego mind’s need, and because of that we can take verbal action.
A personal example I can share is when I had received an email that was angry and attacking. In the past, my immediate reaction was to want to lash back and “set them straight, ” but instead I now take a pause and listen to what feels more inspired to do…or not do.
In this case, once I took a pause, I knew the best course of action was no action at all. I let my ego get of the way and chose peace instead. I didn’t feel the need to reply at all.
Ironically, I later received an apology email from the same source.
Soul Team Chat
- Does it feel uncomfortable to NOT be productive or take action?
- What area of your life may be calling you to take no action?